US Monitor Amphitrite (BM-2

Monitor-04

The Amphitrite class monitors were a class of four U.S. Navy monitors ordered in the aftermath of the Virginius affair with Spain in 1873. The first Amphitrite was built after during the Civil War and originally named Tonawanda.  The second USS Amphitrite was laid down in 1874, launched on 7 June 1883, and commissioned at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, on 23 April 1895.

© Richard Tripp 2012